Retirees may receive standard issue glasses each year from the Naval Ophthalmic Support and Training Command (NOSTRA). To obtain go to the NOSTRA Web site www.med.navy.mil/sites/nostra/Pages/default.aspx and select the “How to Order: Retirees” link for information. If you are retired military and eligible for other medical services, you are authorized to receive annually one clear pair of Bifocals and one tinted pair of Bifocals if prescribed by your Optometrist/Ophthalmologist. If you choose not to request Bifocals, you can receive one pair of Distance Vision and one pair of Near Vision spectacles. One pair of Distance Vision tinted spectacles is authorized if prescribed by your Optometrist/Ophthalmologist. Selectable frames MS9/S91A/Half Eyes/FS9 for all can be viewed on the website.
If you are less than 50 miles from a military health clinic with optometry services, you should take
your prescription for spectacles to them so that they may measure you for proper fit. They will order your spectacles from the appropriate facility. If you are more than 50 miles from a military health clinic with optometry services follow these instructions to order your glasses.
• Open form DD771 at www.med.navy.mil/sites/nostra/order/Documents/DD771_2008.pdf and save it to your computer. This form is created to save the information you type into it.
• Fill out the top section with your “name, “retiree”, and "last 4”, along with your shipping and contact information.
• About halfway down the form, indicate which standard issue frame you desire. Make sure to save the form with the information you added in your computer.
• Print the partially completed form, and take this with you to your eye exam.
• Ensure that the examining facility writes the prescription, and includes your pupillary distance (PD) on the form.
• If your examining facility needs eye size, bridge or temple information, they can find instructions on how to determine this info at www.med.navy.mil/sites/nostra/order/Pages/Fitting.aspx.
• If you currently have Standard Issue frames provide the frame size and temple length. This can be found inside the frame.
• Forward one copy of the completed DD771 form along with your mailing address, a daytime phone number, and email address if available to NOSTRA.
• You can email your order to: NOSTRA-CustomerService@med.navy.mil; or
• You can Fax your order to: (757) 887-4647. Make sure you write: “Retiree Order” on the fax. Call NOSTRA Customer Service at (757) 887-7611 / 7152 / 7299 / 7476 right after you send your fax to insure it was received and that all the information is included to fabricate your orders; or
• You can mail your order to: NOSTRA, 160 Main Road, Ste 350, Yorktown, VA 23691-9984
• If you have any problems or questions call NOSTRA Customer Service Department or email: NOSTRA-CustomerService@med.navy.mil . Customer Service hours are M-F, regular business days, from 0630 to 1700 EST.
• There must be a DD771 for each request for eyewear. Note that orders are subject to a DEERS eligibility check.
[Source: NOSTRA website Jan 2010 ++]